We report all loans to national consumer reporting agencies.  Failure to repay your loan in a timely manner will result in adverse credit.  If you feel an error has been made in your credit reporting, we encourage you to file a credit dispute with the appropriate consumer reporting agency.

To file a dispute directly with the reporting agency online or in writing, contact them via the link or address below:

PO Box 9701
Allen TX 75013

PO Box 740256
Atlanta GA 30374

Trans Union
Customer Dispute Center
PO Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

You may file a dispute directly with us by following the guidelines listed below.

Customer disputing information reported by SC Student Loan to a Consumer Reporting Agency (i.e. credit bureau) must:

  • Submit the dispute in writing
  • Submit sufficient information to identify the account in dispute such as borrower name, account number, date of birth, and consumer account number in question.
  • List specific information that the consumer is disputing and an explanation of the basis of the dispute (i.e. copy of the relevant portion of the consumer report containing the inaccurate information, police report, fraud or identity theft affidavit, court order, account statements etc.)

The dispute notice must be sent to:

South Carolina Student Loan Corporation
PO Box 102423
Columbia SC 29224